One thing Joshua and I have noticed in our limited time as parents is that you have a lot of latitude about certain assessments of your child's developmental milestones. We noticed this because as parents, you get asked about the milestones all the time. Several months ago it was "Is she crawling?" Well, that depends...what is crawling? Was she crawling when she started pulling herself forward? or was she crawling when she could crawl from one side of the room to the other? Same issues apply for walking. In the spirit of that discussion of the role of parents in deciding when children have reached certain milestones, we are happy to declare Sydney's first word is "burp." She has been signing words for a while and she has been saying "Mama" and "Dada" and "bop" for a while...but the sequence of exchanges that led us to choose "burp" are pretty funny...plus, it makes for a memorable first word. Two nights ago I was putting Sydney to bed after a bottle and we had the following exchange after Sydney burped.
Me: "Nice burp."
Sydney: "Burp."
Me: "Burp?!"
Sydney: "Burp."
I told Joshua about it so last night toward the end of dinner, he and I started seeing if we could get Sydney to take the bait. We took a couple of short videos of her reaction to us baiting her.
Despite all of that lovely repeating, Joshua and I decided (because we get to make these decisions) that it really doesn't count as a word until she says it, on her own, before or after an actual burp. This morning I had her with me in my office and after I gave her a bottle, I started patting her on the back. She said "burp," actually burped, and said "burp" again. Now it's official.
No comments:
Post a Comment